On the eve of 2016 we decided to take a look back at five of the most memorable events of 2015. In a year marked by tragedy, political division and protest, 2015 also gave us some groundbreaking scientific discoveries and a few heart warming moments. Here’s the top five most memorable moments of 2015 as ranked by Arkiver.
5. Star Wars – After a 30 year hiatus Star Wars returned to the big screen. In just under 12 days after release, the newest installment broke nearly every box office record on its way to rack up $1Billion in sales. (Image from: http://www.starwars.com/)
4. Ebola Epidemic Declared Finished – In May 2015 the World Health Organization declared an end to the outbreak. The Ebola epidemic claimed over 11,000 lives. (Image: http://www.ft.com)
3. Self Driving Cars Becoming a Reality – Self-driving cars are no longer a futuristic idea. Companies like Mercedes, BMW, and Tesla have already released, or are soon to release, self-driving features that give the car some ability to drive itself and Google started testing its prototype on roads this summer in California. (Image: https://www.google.com/selfdrivingcar/)
2. Madeline Stuart – Perhaps the most inspiring moment of 2015 was Madeline Stuart becoming the first runway model to walk at NY fashion week with Down Syndrome. Madeline’s confidence and courage inspired thousands of girls and she is continuing to work on defeating stereotypes surrounding people living with Down Syndrome. (Image: http://www.nydailynews.com/)
1. Water on Mars – The biggest event in 2015 had to be the discovery of water on Mars. For years the fantasy of life on Mars has been widely debated. While leaving Earth for Mars is still far fetched, you can look forward to more evidence and discoveries about life on Mars in 2016. (Image: http://www.theguardian.com/)