You may find a number of VHS tapes in the depths of your attic or maybe a forgotten box in your home. Some of these VHS tapes may be corrupted because of age and usage, but some of them might still be good and contain precious memories that can never be recreated. If you don’t want to lose these precious memories, you’ll need to digitize these VHS tapes to your laptop or any personal computer. Here’s how…
- A VCR with audio and video functionality. All the connectors are available at the back side of the VCR. For videos, you can find a yellow connector while a white or a red connector are for audios.
- A Personal computer. You can also use an external hard drive to store your videos. It will be the best solution and you won’t mix it up with your other data on the computer.
- The adaptor that is used to connect the VCR and the computer. It is also known as a video capture. You can purchase it online. It shouldn’t be more than 80 dollars. Make sure it’s compatible with both MAC and PC.
- Last, the VHS tape which you need to extract the memories.
First of all, install the adaptor’s software on your personal computer. Then follow this short list of instructions:
- Add the name of the video and the time duration required to record that video and turn on the VCR.
- In order to make sure that you have properly connected, you can play the video and hear it’s audio.
- After putting int he correct information, you have to press the start (red) button.
- After completing, you have to press the same button again to stop recording.
- It will allow you to trim all the unwanted scenes from the video.
- At the end, you have to save the video in the right place.
Once you’ve digitized the recordings, upload them to Arkiver and share them privately with family members so they can enjoy them, comment on them and save them to their own Arkiver collections. Doing this means you’ll also have a backup of the recording on your Dropbox (and the Dropbox accounts of your family if they also save them to their Arkiver accounts).
So if you have a chance to save all your old cherished memories, don’t waste it!